We hear a lot about cybercrime. Generally, people think it to be offensive activities linked by the use of computers. However, there is more to it which can be in the form of hacking, online frauds, forging an identity, or even spreading child exploitation content etc. The effect of this crime generally leaves the individual or the group of people affected both financially or emotionally.
Types of cybercrimes:
- A direct attack on a personal computer or the server-
These criminals have the expertise to directly hack into anyone’s computer by the use of certain tricks and techniques to exploit or misuse the important data or the content stored. Most popularly used techniques are:
- 1. Hacking: This is mainly the unauthorized access into the computer or any device without permission.
- 2. Malware: It is by use of malicious software like spyware, worms, bots, viruses, and Trojans etc. Such software constantly monitors online activity and may cause damage to the computer. This malware gets downloaded the moment an infected email is opened.
- 3. Denial of service attacks: It is an attack which floods a computer or the website with unnecessary data. The aim is to overload and prevents it from functioning effectively or lead to compromising on a network. This type of attack is targeted toward business setups.
Also referred to as stalking. It is engaging in offensive or harassing behavior by the use of technology. Examples
- 1. Sending unwanted, abusive, upsetting messages, images or videos online.
- 2. Creating fake social networking profiles with abusive or adulterated content.
- 3. Sending out digital communication which is discriminatory, intimidating, or may threat someone’s safety.
- 4. Online stalking.
- 5. Bullying by the use of inappropriate language.
- Posting of prohibited or illegal content online-These are highly distressing content:
- 1. The portrayal of sexual activities.
- 2. Videos showing high-impact violence.
- 3. Footages of offensive sexual practices.
- 4. Material detailing instruction in crime.
- 5. Any suspicious content.
- 6. Content or chats that promotes violence etc.
Online child sexual abuse content-
Promoting or advertising child pornography or even sending out information of similar type to any person below the legal age.
Online scams and frauds-
The increase in online services has also opened opportunities for online scams. Inboxes are loaded with dishonest schemes or spam messages that allow criminals to access the personal details of the users. These may include:
- 1. Unexpected money and prize scams like a lottery, winning gifts, vouchers etc.
- 2. Dating or marriage scams majorly evokes emotional trigger to retrieve personal banking or monetary details.
- 3. Investment and jobs scams seek information providing lucrative investment offers or excellent jobs both nationally and internationally. These dubious circumstances generally give a huge monetary setback.
- 4. Identity theft happens when the criminal has complete access to all the personal information and records to duplicate it in his name. This happens by phishing or hacking personal accounts for information. As a result, the criminal not only gets information on the personal records but can also do many illegal activities under your name or even take governmental benefits, commit criminal activities or misinterpret the individual.
- Online trading-
Targets the people who are involved in online transactions. It includes:
- 1. Advertising products for sale at discounted rates and on purchase will never arrive.
- 2. Offer unbelievable cures for medical conditions e.g. obesity.
- 3. Sympathy charities for disasters.
- 4. Attracting customers with gifts or discounts offers and motivating them for subscribing to their services.
The Internet is a huge space and everything is attached with risk where people or businesses can get into vulnerable dubious situations. Decades ago, hacking was not considered as a humongous crime as it was not adversely affecting the lives of internet users. But, today cybercrime is more driven by expertise to gain benefits quickly. The result of this is deceiving or exploiting people.